Naturopathic Medicine is Integrative Medicine
Naturopathic medicine is unique in that it combines state-of-the-art diagnostic techniques and evidence-based medicine with traditional natural therapies for healing. It truly is integrative medicine and utilizes the safest, most effective treatments possible.
Naturopathy is both individualized and holistic, and honors your body’s natural ability to heal itself. Naturopathic doctors focus on finding and addressing the underlying causes of disease rather than simply suppressing your symptoms. This approach will help you feel better now and tomorrow, as you optimize wellness and become a happier, healthier you.
Naturopathic Medical Education
Licensed naturopathic physicians attend accredited four-year medical schools where we obtain thousands of hours of rigorous education in basic sciences and clinical studies. We also get extra training in nutrition, herbal medicine, and homeopathy, all so that we can provide the best possible care for our patients.
Scope of Practice for Naturopathic Physicians
In the state of Oregon, naturopathic doctors are licensed as primary care physicians. As physicians we can:
- Diagnose and treat both acute and chronic diseases
- Provide primary care medical services like wellness exams for both children and adults
- Order lab tests, X-rays, and other diagnostic services
- Make referrals to specialists like gastroenterologists, gynecolologists, and physical therapists when necessary
- Prescribe pharmaceutical medications (Although naturopathic doctors usually prefer to use natural treatments when possible!)
The Principles of Naturopathic Medicine
A passionate belief in these principles is the foundation that sets naturopathic medicine apart from other medical systems:
- The Healing Power of Nature
- Identify and Treat the Causes of Disease
- First Do No Harm
- Doctor as Teacher
- Treat the Whole Person
- Practice Prevention
You can find more information on the principles of naturopathic medicine from the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (AANP).
Also from the AANP, Naturopathic Medicine: 100 Frequently Asked Questions, a new series covering everything you want and need to know about naturopathic doctors and naturopathic medicine.